Koshti Pahlevani “Heroic Wrestling” is one of the disciplines of Zurkhaneh Sports. In the ancient, Heros and athletes practiced Koshti Pahlevani and trained with their primary students “Nocheh” in the Gowd of Zurkhaneh after practicing Zurkhaneh Sports. Heros and “Nokhasteh” participated in Koshti Pahlevani competitions in holidays or special ceremonies with special conditions. Sometimes Hero of a Zurkhaneh or a city invited Hero of another Zurkhaneh or City to wrestle with each other, this kind of wrestling was in a special event with a huge number of athletes and experienced sportsmen and elders. After developing common wrestlings worldwide (Freestyle wrestling and Gerco-Roman wrestling), Heros of Zurkhanehs replaced Zurkhaneh Gowds with wrestling mats and modify their styles with International ones. Many of Iranian famous wrestlers whom achieved Olympic, World and Asia Medals and Titles, have grown up from Zurkhaneh; Gholamreza Takhti, Abullah Mojtabavi, Nabi Soruri, Abbas Zandi, Mansour Mahdizadeh, Alireza Soleymani, Naser Giveh chi, Ali Ghaffari, Mansour Raeesi, Mohammad ali Sanaat karan, Hossein Soltani nejad, Mahdi Yaghoubi, Abbas Jadidi, Rasoul Khadem, Amir reza Khadem, Mohammad Khadem and .. .
The athlete who wants to Practice Koshti Pahlevani needs to the following qualifications: Physical Ability, Intelligence, quick reaction and endurance that Zurkhaneh Sports will empower him in all of the above qualifications and Skills. The Freestyle wrestling and Gerco-Roman wrestling Style Wrestlers can fight against their
opponents very easily in the case of practicing Koshti Pahlevani .
Rules and Regulations of International Competitions of Koshti Pahlevani
Size of Mat
Koshti pahlevani is performed on a mat 12x12 in size, with regard to protection area.
Two 5 minutes round with one minute rest for +90kg. Category and One 5 minute round for other categories.
60-70 kg, 70 kg – 80 kg, 80-90 kg, +90 kg.
Note 1: For Pahlevani “Heroic” Title and Armlet, wrestlers’ weight categories will be limited to only +90 kg.
Note 2: IZSF Technical Committee will determine the weight & age categories of International
competitions considering the hosting conditions but IZSF Members can set up their innercompetitions in determined weight & age categories.
Note 3: Age categories are: cadet, Junior, Senior
Weigh in is executed for one hour at 18:00-19:00, the day before the competition, exact weight of “Koshti geer” (wrestler) will be registered in front of his name in the competition table.
Note: If a wrestler arrived late for weigh in, Head of Technical Committee of that event can accept to execute weigh-in for him and add it at the end of the table, if his supervisor present an acceptable reason for that delay.
After weigh in, Draw will be carried out in the presence of countries representatives.
In emergency conditions; Technical Committee will decide for the time and conditions of weigh in.
Koshti geers (wrestlers) must be wearing proper clothes for weigh-in.
The apparent looking of the Wrestlers would be befitting with their Pahlevani title, wearing any ornaments such as rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc is forbidden.
In Weigh-in, the exact weight of the wrestlers will be inserted in front of their names.
It is mandatory for the athletes to present the Medical Examination Clearance signed and stamped by a doctor from their home country. Otherwise IZSF Medical committee will do it and 20 US$ would be paid for issuing every Medical Examination Clearance paper.
Koshti Pahlevani Dress and its Features
1. “Nate” is pants of Koshti Pahlevani that extends from Koshti geer`s waist to below of his knees. “Nate” is sewn of a very sturdy cloth to prevent it from being torn during fighting.
2. Sarkaseh or Pishkaseh of Nate’ must be so big that let the opponent`s fingers grab it.
3. Nate’ would not decorated with metal objects such as studs and buckles.
4. Pish kaseh or Sar kaseh and the waist part of Nate` must be embroidered in a way that embroidery wont be torn easily in fighting.
5. A blue or red cloth belt must be worn twice around Koshti geers` waist in a way that it doesn`t loosen easily.
6. Wrestling costume (singlet) is in two colors: red or blue and Draw will specify it.
7. Koshti geers would put on “Wrestling” Shoe.
Note: Wrestlers should carry 2 Nate, 2singlets in blue & red color and a pair of wrestling shoe.
Parts of Koshti Pahlevani Pants and Costume :
“Pish Qabz”: The front part of Nate` waist
“Pass Qabz”: The back part of Nate` waist
“Pish kaseh” or” Sar kaseh “: The front part of knee of Nate`
“Pass kaseh”: The back part of knee of Nate`
1. The wrestlers with the same weight category will come into one group and the loser Koshti geer in the second Round, will go to Loser Group.
2. The Koshti geer who loses for two times & equals 0 – 0 for two times, will be eliminated from the competitions table.
3. The first and the second Koshti geers will be selected from winner group and the third to tenth Koshti geers will be selected from the losers group.
1- The wrestler can carry out Leg Techniques and Frustrates e.g. Kicks and Leg Trip.
2- The wrestler can take Pish Qabz, Pas Qabz, Pas Kaseh and Pish Kaseh of the opponent’s in any condition.
3- The wrestler is authorized to do any techniques by leg.
4- The wrestler can do the relevant techniques by his hand just above the opponent’s knee.
Points of Koshti Pahlevani Techniques
1. Throw the opponent on the Ground position by Pish Kaseh, Pas Kaseh, Pish Qabz & Pas Qabz will have 2 points & taking the opponent’s leg, as mentioned in Regulations (above knee) will have 1 point.
2. If the wrestler could not carry out the technique within 10 seconds after ground work, the Referee will restart the Koshti.
3. In the main area of the mat, two points will go to all techniques that led the opponent side “Pahlu” thrown to the Ground position. And if this technique started in the main area of the mat and led to outside area of the mat, it will take 1 point. The referee will announce one or two point by announcing “Pahlou” word.
4. One point will go to the wrestler who started the work in the main area of Mat and make the opponent in Ground position outside of the warning area. By whistle of referee the Koshti will be restarted in the center of Mat.
5. The defensive wrestler will loose 2 points in the case of using his hand in reaction to the opponent’s leg Technique. 2 points and one announce will go to his opponent. The whistle of referee will restart the Koshti in the center of Mat.
6. Three points will go to the wrestler who started the technique in the mat center & warning area which led to knocking down the opponents in the out area. Koshti will be restarted in the center of Mat.
7. Two points will go to the wrestler who started the technique in the mat center & warning area in the ground position which led to knocking down the opponents in the out of the main area. Koshti will be restarted in the center of Mat.
8. If any of above conditions happened for the wrestler who is doing the techniques, points will go to the defensive opponent.
Pin fall and its conditions
1.Both shoulders positioning on mat.
2. Behind positioning (pol raftan) on mat.
3. Both elbows positioning on mat in behind of wrestler or elbow to elbow.
4. One Shoulder positioning on mat or making an open angel (+90 Degree)
Note: in any case that wrestler who started the technique, faced danger before the defensive
opponent and Piruz conditions (pin fall) provided for him, he will loose the Koshti to his opponent.
Winning in Equal Conditions
1. If two wrestlers obtained equal points at the end of fighting time, that one will be winner who obtained less warning
2. If two wrestlers obtained equal announces & warnings at the end of fighting time, that one will be winner who obtained the highest Technique point.
3. If two wrestlers obtained equal points at the end of fighting time mentioned in item 1 & 2, that one will be winner who obtained the last technique point.
4. In the case of obtaining 0 score at the end of legal time in Preliminary and Semifinal rounds, both wrestlers will go to loser group.
5. For the second time if the wrestler obtains equal points as mentioned in above conditions, he will be omitted from the table of competitions, and in the case of equal with point obtaining, the conditions of item 1 to 3 will be considered and he will remain in table of competitions.
6. In the case of equal points (0 - 0) in Final and Semifinal rounds, after 1 minute rest, they continue fighting for 3 minutes. The wrestler who obtained the 1st point will be the winner.
7. In case of not obtaining any scores in legal & extra time, Referee will do the Equal line rule, in the strength time.
Equal Time and line; its rules
Strength Time: 1 minute extra time, which will be given to the wrestlers after the legal & 3 minutes extra time.
Equal Line: Two parallel lines which will be drawn in the center of the mat, by 40 Cm distance from each other.
• If the wrestlers reach the conditions of item 7 in equal conditions, the wrestlers will take place in back of equal lines by the referee and both of them will take the opponents’ left leg pish Qabz by right hand & right leg pish Kaseh by the left hand, referee whistle will start the fighting and they will continue to obtain the point.
• If the wrestler takes his Pish qabz or pish Kaseh from opponent hand, in the equal lines, it means point obtaining and end of competition.
• Not caring to the rules of equal lines which led to the warning from referee will be led to losing the point & wrestling.
• If the wrestler leaves the Pish Qabz or Pish Kaseh to make a technique, in the case of success, he will be winner, but if he could not make the technique successfully, he will be looser & end of the competition.
• If the wrestlers can not take any points in the 1 minute strength time, the wrestler who is lighter will be the winner (according to the referee sheets which is completed in weigh in day).
• In the case of same weight, the points of previous wrestling competitions of them will specify the winner.
• Not presenting in the final & ranking competition will be led to losing the wrestling and also omitting from the table of competition.
Weigh-in and conditions of lighter wrestler
The exact weight of the wrestlers will be inserted in front of their names in weigh in table and in the Referee Paper. This weight is a proof for Technical Committee to determine the winner in the special conditions. If the wrestlers with the same weight reached an equal point, they will againg pass weighin immediately after fighting and the lighter will be the winner.
Faults and Penalties
1. Pulling fingers or twisting joints, in the opposite direction.
2. Performing technique, throwing the opponent, hitting the opponent on the mat or throwing the opponent out of the mat after the referee blows into his whistle.
3. Thrusting elbow or head into the opponents` chest or abdomen (it`s different from taking hold and standing wrestling forcing the opponent out of the mat in standing position).
4. Any rough “Izaee” works recognized by referees.
* Doing any above faults led to the followings:
- For the First time: Awareness – 1 point go to the opponent
- For the Second time: Alarm – 2 Points go to the opponent
- For the Third time: Piruz – loose the fighting and opponent will be winner with Pin fall.
Dismissal of “Koshti geer”:
According to the opinion of referees and Technical Supervisor of Competition, the wrestler «Koshti geer» committing works against chivalrous principles is declared to be loser. According to the severity, through IZSF Technical Committee confirmation he will be deprived of attending competitions, between 6 months to one year.
Actions Resulting in the Dismissal of «Koshti geer”:
1. Insulting the referee and other officials, and any indecent action which is not match with heroism principals.
2. Head – butt or pushing the finger in eye, mouth or nose of the opponents.
4. Seizing, pressing or hitting the sensitive limbs of the opponent body which will be led to the opponents heavy injury that stop him of continuing the competition.
Passivity and Pretence
1. Time wasting
2. Moving backward and Escape from Technique
3. Skip of the Mat
4. Being negligent of referee`s warnings
5. Resting to be refreshed by pretending to be injured if doctor does not confirm it, For the First time: Awareness and one point go to the opponent, for the Second time: alarm and two Points go to the opponent and for the Third time; Medical Committee, Referees and Supervisor of the competition decided for: Pirouz – that led to loose the fighting and opponent will be winner with Pin fall.
6. The maximum time for cloths changing, if its toured, delay in coming on mat, passivity & pretence, …, would be 2 minutes. Wasting more than 2 minutes in any condition, by senior referee confirmation and time keeper announcing, will be announced as looser.
7. In the case of medical care by doctor, the time will not be added up.
Warning conditions (Awareness) and (Alert)
1.Existing from the Mat in any condition (skipping or opponent’s pressure) for the first time will give a reminder to the wrestler, no punishment or negative points will be given.
2. Existing of the Mat in any condition (skipping or opponent’s pressure) after receiving the reminder,
will give “Awareness” to the wrestler and 1 point go to the opponent, by referee whistle the fighting will be continued in the center of mat while opponent taking “Pish qabz” of Wrestler.
3. Existing of the Mat in any condition (skipping or opponent’s pressure) after the awareness, will give “Alert” to the wrestler and 2 points go to the opponent, by Referee whistle the fighting will be continued in the center of mat while opponent taking “Pish kaseh” of Wrestler.
4. Existing of the Mat in any condition (skipping or opponent’s pressure) after the first Alert, will give the 2nd “Alert” to the wrestler and 2 points go to the opponent, by Referee whistle the fighting will be continued while opponent taking Pish Qabz and Pish Kaseh.
5. In the case of repetition of Alert condition, wrestling will be continued as mentioned in Item 4 until the end of legal time and being inserted in referee sheet.
Absent Koshti geer “Wrestler” on the Mat
The wrestlers would come on the mat within 1 minute and 30 seconds after the first calling by Loudspeakers otherwise after 1.5 minute and 3 times calling, the opponent will be announced as winner and absent Koshti geer will be loser.
Two beside Judges, one Mat Referee and a senior Referee will judge the «Koshti Pahlevani» and a referee in charge of keeping the time.
Senior Referee is responsible for:
1. Coordination, Controlling and supervising the beside Judges and Mat Referees works
2. Controlling the Koshti Geer’s ID Card
3. Controlling the Referee Papers before the Competition
4. Coordinating with Time-Keeper for Competition start
5. Controlling the color of Koshti geers’ “wrestlers” Costume and belt with the Referee Paper.
6. Studying & presenting the claims to the head of technical committee, to make the final decision.
7. Announcing the wrestling result & presenting to the mat referee. Mat Referee is responsible for:
1. Controlling costume, Nate` and wrestling Shoe for not decorating with metal ornaments, buckles and
2. Examining the largeness of «Pish kaseh» of «Nate` « (They must be large enough to let the opponent grab them).
3. Examining color and solidity of Koshti geers` belt.
4. Examining nail and body of the Koshti geer, their bodies shouldn`t be greasy and without scars.
5. Indicating points to beside judges, by hand signs.
6. Giving in time penalty to the passive Koshti geer or those who do Faults or works against rules and disciplines.
7. Cutting the Koshti “fighting” in the case of Predicament positions.
8. Giving in time “Awareness” and “Alert” to the Koshti geers in coordinate with beside Judges.
9. Announcing Pin fall and “Pirouz” word and cutting the Koshti with blowing his whistle.
10. Announcing the end of Koshti after finishing legal time.
Beside Judge is Responsible for
1. Caring to all minutes & corners of the competition
2. Warm collaboration with senior referee & mat referee.
3. Announcing the points through electronic Score Board or hand written table.
4. Inserting koshti geer’s points in Referee Papers or Electronic Score board.
5. In the case of judgment through Referee Papers, filling them at the end of competition and presenting them to the senior referee.
Time-keeper is Responsible for
1. In each competition one judge is responsible for keeping time. Time of competition starts when the Mat Referee blows into his whistle and ends when the time keeper sounds the bell and informs the referee that legal time is over.
2. Time-keeper is also responsible for computing wasted time.
3. Maximum wasted time is totally 2 minutes to change the torn clothes, late attendance on Mat, feigning opponent. If a Koshti geer wasted more than 2 minutes, Senior Referee and Time-keeper announce him as loser. In the case of continuous curing by Medical committee, time will not be counted.
1. Special Zurkhaneh Referee Vest «Jeliqeh» – Blue Shirt - Dark Blue Cotton Trousers – Black Belt – Black Brogues.
2. Blue Bracelet on Right hand and Red Bracelet on Left hand.
1. If a Koshti geer wants to protest about the Result of the Koshti, head of that team would render his written complaint mentioning the reasons, immediately, to the Supervisor of the Competition.
2. Technical supervisor of competition, senior referee and IZSF supervisor will review the wrestling film and they will announce the final result that will be unchangeable.
3. If the Complaint came true, the competition Result will be changed and 50 US $ will be returned. Otherwise, the announced result will be inserted in the Competition Table and Score Board and the enclosed price will be paid into IZSF account.
4. The late complaints won`t be checked.
1- Embroidering Nate` with traditional designs is allowed.
2- Using the emblem, flag or name of koshti geer`s Country or Club is just allowed on the front or back part of his Costume.
This Regulation is approved by IZSF Technical Committee. We welcome all suggestions of Technical representatives of member countries in special Technical gatherings that will be held after competitions, we can discuss about strength and weak points and modify them.